In Focus: Driving Performance and Productivity
– Industry benchmarking organisation Towards Maturity has produced a research report that provides insights into how the best performing learning teams are increasing productivity within their organisations.
– Media: Article / PDF
– Reading time: 1 minute, plus report reading time
Lessons From the Maker Movement
– What can the maker movement teach organisations about creativity and innovation? A fair bit, according to this article from MIT Sloan Management Review. It argues that we need to stop cultures of criticism and start focusing on employees’ creative skills.
– Media: Article
– Reading time: 7 minutes
2018 Global Human Capital Trends: The Rise of the Social Enterprise
– Now in its 5th year, Deloitte’s research of more than 11,000 business and HR leaders across 124 countries, presents 10 workplace trends shaping the way we work. It’s an extensive report with an interesting chapter on careers.
– Media: Article / Video / PDF
– Reading time: 3 minutes, plus report reading time
The CIPD L&D Show: Highlights from Day 1
The CIPD L&D Show: Highlights from Day 2
– Is it possible to run an L&D team from a smartphone? The CIPD’s Andy Lancaster thinks so. This standout session and many others feature in People Management’s run-down of the two-day conference.
– Media: Article
– Reading time: 4 minutes
The Worst Piece of Peer Review I’ve Ever Received
– Peer reviews are an important part of the process that filters new research, some of which will be of interest to learning professionals. But how robust is the peer process? Not as robust as it should be …
– Media: Article
– Reading time: 9 minutes
The GoodPractice team are veritable magpies of interesting L&D content. Here’s a quick round-up of the videos, podcasts, events and Twitter happenings that caught our attention this month.
Something to watch
Personal Knowledge Management
– Harold Jarche is the originator of the ‘seek, sense, share’ model that is critical to developing our own personal knowledge and understanding. In this video, Jarche shares his thinking on how to become better at making sense of the mountain of information that’s available at our fingertips.
– Watching time: 15 minutes
Who to follow on Twitter
– Andrew Jacobs @AndrewJacobsLD is a very experienced L&D manager in the public sector. He shares great insights on learning and is always practical, pragmatic and thoughtful.
– @LnDConnect Follow – and become a part of – this active community of L&D professionals. As well as connecting with peers, you can join in the weekly Twitter chat on learning and organisational design. It takes place on Fridays at 8.00 am GMT and uses the hashtag #ldinsight.
– Statista Charts @StatistaCharts is a statistics portal which shares charts, graphs and infographics on a wide range of topics. For example, did you know that on average, people in the UK spend six minutes a day reading books?
Events and conferences to check out
– ATD International Conference and Expo, 6-9 May, San Diego, USA.
– Training and Development Summit, 14-15 May, Whittlebury Hall, UK.
– Learning at Work Week, 14-20 May, UK wide.
– Digital Learning Summit, 16-17 May, live online event.
– Mental Health Matters, 16 May, Harvey Nichols, Edinburgh.
Something to listen to
– A good day at work – Sir Cary Cooper.
The Eat, Sleep, Work, Repeat podcast is a weekly show all about work culture. In this episode, well-being at work champion Sir Cary Cooper looks at how workplaces and employees can make work better.
– Listening time: 44 minutes